- How to Sell to Market Research Buyers, Part 1
- 5½ [behind-the-scenes] Marketing & Sales Activities You Need To Do in December
- Got something to say?
- Running a small firm? Who holds you accountable?
- Marketing & Sales Success Begins with a Simple Step… Thinking!
- Your Sales Forecast Doesn’t Have to be a Guessing Game!
- Lead generation is a 3-step process.
- Measuring Sales… it’s Not just about Revenue
- 7 Selling Behaviors Seller-Doers Must Employ to be Successful.
- Can you really be “all things to all people?”
- 12 Marketing & Sales Activities you Gotta STOP this Year!
- How to maximize the impact of your marketing investment.
- Revenue Growth? Try the ‘5% Challenge’… it’s Brilliant!
- Should you ever walk away from revenue?
- Get Ready for 2017 with these 6 Marketing & Sales Activities
- 20 Marketing and Sales Concepts Business Leaders Need to Know, Part 2
- 20 Marketing and Sales Concepts Business Leaders Need to Know, Part 1
- 10 Guidelines for How to Be Successful at Sales
- Strategy Before Tactics!
- 6 Marketing & Sales Lessons Learned in our First 4 Years in Business
- The Sales Presentation: Stop Reading the PowerPoint Slides and Tell Your Story
- Content Marketing not working? Eh, don’t worry about it!
- Marketing Measurement: 3 New Methods You Have to Try in 2016
- The One Thing You Must Include in Your 2016 Marketing & Sales Plan
- Not using LinkedIn? Are you kidding me?!
- Is it OK to fire a client?
- Take Charge of Your Own Success… Stop Relying on Others!
- Getting first-time clients to take a chance on you.
- 9 Ways to Build your Business During the Summer Slowdown
- The Top 10 Ways to Build Awareness
- The 13 Most Common Website Mistakes
- The Most Important Part of Exhibiting
- Content marketing isn’t a one-time thing… it’s an all-the-time thing.
- THINKING! A framework for creating better business plans in 2015.
- Not happy with your marketing & sales? Then make just one change in 2015!
- For Beginners: Should I Tweet Daily? Yes… and here’s how.
- Got your Marketing Plan for 2015? No?! Now’s a good time to start…
- How to Connect with Booth Visitors – An Exhibitor’s Worksheet
- Not getting the email results you want? Make sure you’re following these 7 email marketing guidelines.
- 10 Ways to Get Clients to Sell FOR You (and they won’t cost a dime!)
- Do you know where you’re going? Why Strategy should drive your marketing & sales.
- 11 execution tips to help you exceed client expectations
- How to Turn First-time Clients into Repeat Clients
- 15 easy, low-cost marketing and sales tactics for 2014 – Part 2
- 15 easy, low-cost marketing and sales tactics for 2014 – Part 1
- 13 Lessons for Researchers Who Don’t Want (or Like) to Sell
- Social media marketing success in 30 minutes a day
- Get it right! You can’t manage what you don’t measure.
- It’s not that complicated! A common sense approach to the marketing & sales process.
- How MR firms are blowing it with new customers: Lessons learned while secret shopping
- Management or sales… you can’t serve two masters.
- Prove it! Nine ways to convince prospects to work with you for the first time.
- Five everyday ways to grow your business
- How that ‘one great client’ could doom your firm
- Six marketing and sales mistakes MR firms make every day
- Eight proven ways to build awareness – and why you should!
- Suspects, Prospects and Clients: Is your firm focused on the right target?
- A Checklist for Conducting Your Own Marketing & Sales Audit
- Learning to play the game: What football can teach us about marketing
- Differentiating your firm in a crowded marketplace
- 25 low- or no-cost ways to grow your business
- 15 Reasons E-mail Still Matters in Sales and Marketing
- Come prepared, dress the part and follow up: 10 dos for exhibiting at MR trade shows
- No rookies, no gum and no Frisbees: 10 don’ts for exhibiting at MR trade shows
- How to see yourself as clients see you
- Marketing 101: It takes Work to make it Work
- Use the 8 Ps of Marketing when Setting Strategy
- Integrate the 4 As of Marketing into Your Planning
- Size Does Matter: 4 Approaches to Growing Your Business
- The 12 Guiding Principles of Marketing (part 2)
- The 12 Guiding Principles of Marketing (part 1)
12 Marketing & Sales Activities you Gotta STOP this Year!
Consider these your 2017 Anti-Resolutions…
Yup, it’s that time of the year… when you find all kinds of articles and blog posts from marketing & sales gurus about the kinds of New Year’s Resolutions you need to be setting on how to achieve growth for your business. And while I’m all in favor of starting off the new year by adopting some new ideas, processes and techniques… let me suggest that before you do that, you STOP some of the bad habits you’ve been living with up until now. Here are just a few…
STOP “winging it” with your marketing and sales. Block off some time (now!) and give it some real strategic thought and put together a basic marketing & sales plan to follow.
STOP making the excuse that you don’t have time. If you “don’t have the time” for marketing & sales, then it’s not a priority for you. Make it one!
STOP trying things one time… and then immediately saying “they don’t work.” Running one advertisement or giving a sales rep one month to close a deal are common examples. Good marketing and good selling take time… so be patient.
STOP limping by on a website that hasn’t been updated in 5 years (or more!). It’s time to update the writing & design, convert it to mobile-optimized, integrate it with SEO efforts and so on.
STOP being afraid of ‘selling’ and commit to doing a few simple selling activities every week… following-up on leads and inquiries, improving your elevator pitch, reaching out to old clients and prospects, etc.
STOP relying on others for your success. Word of mouth and referrals are great… but when your referrer stops referring, you’re dead in the water. Get proactive to achieve your success.
STOP playing around on LinkedIn. Update your profile and photo, publish some posts, join appropriate groups (where your clients, not your competitors, hang out) and participate in threaded conversations.
STOP avoiding content… and write SOMETHING! A blog post, an article, a case study… something to showcase your knowledge and expertise.
STOP behaving like every one of your competitors. What are your true Points of Differentiation? [“We do great work” and “We have great people” are not them!] Don’t have any? Then work on developing them. And once you get them… make them the center-piece of your marketing efforts.
STOP with the me-focused capabilities presentation. Your prospects don’t care about what you can do… they care about what you can do for them. Show them how you can solve their problems.
STOP blaming your lack of marketing & sales by saying it’s expensive. There are scores of smart, creative things you can do without spending much – if any – money. Here’s a starting list:
- Write blog posts… frequently
- Refresh the copy on your website
- Create and send out a monthly enewsletter
- Tweet a few times each week
- Handwrite ‘thank you’ notes after meeting someone
- Subscribe to a free CRM platform
- Commit to making 5 sales phone calls each week
- Schedule in-person visits with the 3 largest sales prospects in your local market
- Create and present a webinar
- Add a marketing message to your email signature
- Set up Google Alerts to track your clients’ and competitors’ names
- Update your capabilities presentation
- Update your bid package
- And I’ll bet you can think of at least a dozen others…
So, as we roll into 2017, STOP thinking about your marketing & sales the “old way.” Get rid of those bad habits (and processes)… then you really can START focusing on the growth of your firm.
Here’s wishing you a very safe, prosperous and Happy New Year!